This is the first year in some time that we’ve set the flies for our Fly-Tying Competition without David Taylor and we hope we’ve lived up to his rigour and standards. We’ve gone back to choosing pattern previously published in Flydresser, choosing flies to challenge all levels of ability. Should you have any difficulty obtaining any materials, you can seek guidance on suitable substitutes from the General Secretary.
As in previous years, the FDG will provide a trophy and certificate to all winners and Veniard have again kindly agreed to provide a prize for the winning entry for each category. Runners-Up will receive a certificate. We are hugely grateful to Veniard for their continued generous support, and to our Chair Peter Gathercole for agreeing to judge the competition.
Many congratulations to the winners and runners up in the 2022/23 Fly-Tying Competition, which were announced in the Summer issue of Flydresser.
Competition Categories and Flies
|Novice Trout||Simple Shrimp||Summer 2022|
|Novice Lure||Dawsons Olive||Spring 2022|
|Open Trout||Bristol Hopper||Autumn 2018|
|Open Salmon||Geert’s Shrimp||Autumn 2021|
|Prize Winners Trout||Caperer Caddis||Autumn 2022|
|Prize Winners Salmon||De Feo Quilled Stone Nymph||Winter 2018|
|Dry Fly||Big Red||Winter 2020|
|Creative Fly||Any game-changer style lure|
Information on the flies and their dressings can be found in this document and the original articles with the patterns are available in the Fly Patterns page in the members’ only area of the website.
How to Enter
A brief overview of how to enter is set out below. Please read the full rules and follow the instructions carefully!
- To take part, you must submit three identical samples (tied by yourself) of the fly for the category or categories you wish to enter, placed in a suitable clean container (one per category) labelled only with your membership number.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a duly completed entry form (one form per category).
- Entries must be received by the General Secretary by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday 30 March 2024 at the address shown below. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- The Novice Trout and Novice Lure categories are open to FDG members who have been tying for less than two years and who have not won a prize or been a runner up in a previous FDG or other national fly-tying competition.
- The Open Trout and Salmon categories are for FDG members who have not won or been a runner up in a FDG competition in the relevant Open category.
- The Prize Winners categories are only for FDG members who have previously won or been a runner up in the corresponding Open category.
- The Dry Fly and Creative categories are open to all FDG members.
- Winners of multiple categories will only receive one prize from Veniard.
The full rules and entry form can be found below or obtained by sending an s.a.e. to the General Secretary, Chris Reeves, 2 Briar Close, West Byfleet, Surrey KT14 6QF. All entries should also be sent to this address.
Improving the consistency of your tying
If the idea of tying dozens of flies to obtain three identical specimens puts you off competitions, look up Tim Benn’s excellent article, ‘Prizes and Surprises’ on Donald Downs’ advice for tying competition flies, published in the Winter 2012 issue of Flydresser and available as an extract here. Also, do make use of the Guild Fly-Tying Award booklets for help with any unfamiliar techniques and, if you live close to a Branch, take advantage of their tying evenings.